The Dunes Drive-In will feature The Goonies, a summer classic! A group of teenagers finds a map leading to a hidden treasure. They must overcome booby traps, natural obstructions, and a gang of desperate thieves in their race for the loot.
Bring your own refreshments or enjoy items from our snack bar and beer garden. We will be offering popcorn, candy, cotton candy, hot dogs, pretzels and a beer and wine garden
Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Movie starts at 8:30. Come early and enjoy the beautiful sunset.
Tickets are per car, regardless of number of people in your car, and will be available exclusively at this link until sold out!
WHAT TIME CAN I ARRIVE?
We cannot place any cars prior to 6:30 PM, so please do not arrive any earlier than this. Guests who arrive earlier than 6:30 PM will be asked to come back at 6:30 PM, and it’s a difficult turn to make, so please help us avoid that by not trying to get on the lot earlier than 6:30 PM. Cars will be placed on a first-come, first-served basis, one car at a time, and in sections based on the size of the car and desired style of viewing (i.e. open hatchbacks, etc. – more information below).
WHERE IS NEWPORT DUNES?
Newport Dunes is located at 1131 Back Bay Drive, Newport Beach 92660.
HOW DO I REDEEM MY TICKET?
Upon purchase, the ticket will be emailed to you as a PDF attachment from Eventbrite. When you arrive at the event, please show the attendant the bar code on your ticket through your car window, either by holding up your printed version or by displaying it on your phone or smart device. The attendant will scan it to check you in, and you’ll be good to go!
DO I NEED FM RADIO IN MY CAR?
YES! This is a “silent-style” Drive-In event, with no speakers. The film’s soundtrack will be accessible exclusively through your car’s FM Radio, for maximum social-distance safety. We will provide you with the FM station upon arrival. Make sure your car has an FM radio so you can hear the film!
CAN I BRING FOOD / SNACKS?
YES! Plus concessions and a beer & wine garden will also be available! We don’t imagine any of you would, but we have to ask that you don’t discard your trash out the window. (It’s happened…) So please help us keep the grounds tidy!
WILL YOU HAVE RESTROOMS?
YES! The restrooms on our beach will be available for use. As our approval of this event is based on our assurance of safety, we ask that folks wear protective masks when leaving your cars for any reason, including to use the restroom. Staff will be on hand to keep those restrooms sanitized. As such, there may be a wait — to ensure you don’t miss any part of the show, please consider a pre-trip restroom stop before heading out!
REMEMBER TO TURN YOUR ENGINE ON EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE…
As you will be running your battery non-stop so that you can listen to the film on FM, you run the risk of killing your battery. We are always ready to go with the jumper cables for those who need them! but to eliminate the risk of your battery dying, remember to turn your car on every once in a while.
…BUT MIND YOUR HEADLIGHTS!
Some cars have headlights that automatically turn on when the engine is turned over. There’s generally a setting to eliminate that — please make an effort to switch that setting so that your headlights don’t beam on when you power on your car, as headlights wipe out the image on the screen. We will have cardboard and tablecloths on hand for cars that may need help with this — let an attendant know if you need materials to cover your headlights.
MIND YOUR DOME LIGHTS AND BRAKE PEDAL
We understand that sometimes you have to flick on the dome light to look for something in your car, but please don’t have your dome light on for a stretched period of time — and certainly, not through the entire film. Any light proves very distracting to the audience around you. And lastly — we understand that it sometimes feels instinctual to do so, but please make an effort to keep your foot off your brake pedal. In a dark environment, brake lights provide quite a surprising glow.
CAN I SIT IN MY TRUCK BED? – OR – CAN I PUT MY CONVERTIBLE’S TOP DOWN? – OR – CAN I THROW THE HATCH OF MY HATCHBACK UP AND SIT IN THE BACK TO WATCH THE SHOW?
- Please note that tall cars / SUVs / trucks will be parked in parking areas to the sides of the middle area, or along the back rows, to minimize obstruction of rows behind you.
- Guests are allowed to sit in their truck beds, so long as they keep their protective masks on.
- Guests are allowed to put their tops down, so long as they keep their protective masks on.
- Raised hatches proved quite obstructive to rows of cars behind them in viewing the screen. If you’re absolutely set on sitting in your hatchback with your hatch up, you will be asked to park either to the sides of our car staging area or along the back rows. And like truckbeds and convertibles — if your hatch is open, we ask that you keep your masks on. Again, our approval of this event is based on our assurance of absolute safety, with folks keeping masks on when not inside their closed cars.
- For trucks: Please keep in mind that the soundtrack is coming in through FM radio. As such, either have a low-volume FM radio in your truck bed with you, or you can slide open the little window to your truck bed and play through your car stereo at a reasonable volume.
WHERE TO STAY?
Take the stress out of where to stay or how to find parking, and make it a weekend holiday vacation at our Luxury Waterfront Beach Resort in Newport Beach, CA. Whether you stay in a beach cottage or pull up in your RV, there are many things to do in Newport Beach during the weekend. Don’t wait, reserve your stay now!