In Honor of Moe B the Whale, Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort Kicks Off Its Ocean Initiatives
Newport Beach, CA (June 2019) – In honor of Moe B the Whale’s 60th Birthday, Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort is proud to participate and become a leader in the Sustainability in Hospitality Movement. The resort has partnered with Pacific Marine Mammal Center, Wetlands & Wildlife Care Center, and Newport Bay Conservancy to implement a new strategy for a more sustainable resort and world.
With the hospitality and tourism industry labeled as one of the fastest-growing economic sectors in the world, the United Nations’ World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) forecasts over 1.8 billion annual international arrivals by 2030. This significant increase in tourism has also led to rising pressure on the environment. According to the UNWTO, tourism contributes to 5% of global CO2 emissions, and if this is not managed sustainably, the consequential effects of climate change will take its toll.
As part of Newport Dunes’ new sustainability strategy, the following initiatives will be applied effectively:
The Clean Beach Initiative
- BBQs, grills and glass containers of any kind are prohibited on the beach or grass. Violators are subject to $500 fines, according to NBMC Section 11.08.060.
- The resort will also begin managing their own recycling waste systems, offering both trash and recycling bins throughout the property.
- We live in a digital age; therefore, the resort is reducing its usage of paper and opting for digital media, encouraging guests to receive emails rather than mail.
- Resort signage will be constructed using recycled materials and old signages.
The 3 R’s Initiative
- REDUCE the amount of waste and disposable items used.
- REUSE old containers, commodities, paper and rechargeable batteries.
- RECYCLE multi-use materials and buy eco-friendly items.
The Organic Initiative
- Promoting animal and human health, the resort is committed to using non-toxic products throughout the resort.
- The Back Bay Bistro will also serve organic fruits and vegetables, locally-caught seafood and high-quality meat.
Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort aims to make healthier and greener choices with confidence. Help us celebrate Moe B’s 60th Birthday by taking on these initiatives with us.
Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort & Marina is an iconic, family-friendly recreation destination celebrating 60+ years of treasured memories in Orange County. It is the perfect paradigm of a beach resort with the elements of laid-back luxury, world-class hospitality, waterfront dining, and the natural beauty of Newport Beach. It is the perfect location to enjoy California’s coastal climate and treasure trove of recreational activities, including exotic dining, upscale shopping, and championship golf courses. Newport Dunes is home to Southern California’s premier, waterfront RV resort, featuring luxury accommodations and amenities, charming beach cottages, a 442-slip marina, boat launch ramp, bike and watercraft rentals, a waveless beach and swimming lagoon, and SoCal’s largest inflatable water park. The resort offers breathtaking venues and elegant catering for beachfront weddings and corporate events, and hosts exciting, year-round live entertainment and music festivals. Back Bay Bistro, the Dunes’ dockside restaurant, delivers stunning views and award-winning cuisine, including OC’s Best Brunch.